For Superbowl I made these really yummy quesadillas. I thought I would do a little twist on them and bake them instead of cook them on the stove top.
Baked Black Bean Quesadillas –
8 whole wheat flour tortillas
8oz of shredded cheese
Spices for your taste ( cumin, chili powder, garlic, salt/pepper, cayenne pepper)
14oz can of black beans
1/2 cup mixed bell peppers, sliced thin
1 small onion
1. Preheat oven to 400F. Rinse black beans and cook on stove top with 1/4 cup of fresh water ( I ALWAYS rinse my canned beans, even if they are low sodium)
2. While beans are cooking on medium heat, cut up desired veggies ( we did just bell peppers for a more bland taste since some of us were getting over the flu).
3. Take package of tortillas and baking sheet and get them ready. Coat the one side of each tortilla with some sort of oil. I used olive oil, in which I lightly coated each one.
4. Once all of them are coated and beans are done. Place two oil down on the baking sheet, then add one small layer of cheese topped with black beans and veggies. Once that is done add one more layer of cheese ( to help the whole thing stick together better) then add the other shell with oil facing out.
5. Once you have them all put together put them in the oven for 7-10 mins. Mine was actually done about 8 mins. Then slice them up, cutting each circle in 4-8 pieces ( depending on you will serve them). Garnish with salsa, cilantro or plain greek yogurt ( my fav!). You can also add meat to them like chicken or shrimp. Either way they are super easy, super fast and super yummy..Not to mention a nice healthy dinner or party idea!!
We served them with Avocado Bacon Spinach salad w/ semi-homemade ranch dressing